Gander & White turns 85!
Gander & White, one of the world’s leading full-service art shipping companies and Royal Warrant holder, is delighted to announce its 85th Anniversary.
Founded in 1933 by Frank White, a former Royal Air Force officer with a wealth of experience in the shipping industry, and accountant Walter Gander, the company started life in London as specialists in handling fine art and antiques. Testament to its success, Gander & White has grown exponentially over the years and offers a comprehensive art logistics service to dealers, collectors, interior designers, galleries and museums worldwide.
Walter Gander died in 1953 and his daughter became a shareholder until 1966 when Frank White also passed away. Frank’s French wife Andrée bought out Ms Gander and ran the business for the next two decades, at a time when being a woman running a business was a rare occurrence, especially in such a male dominated industry as shipping.
Frank and Andrée’s son, Patrick, joined the company in 1973. Now chairman, Patrick says: “It’s amazing to see how far we have come since 1933 and we still have expansion plans for the years ahead. However, the one thing that has not changed is that we are a family company and that is very important to me.”
Oliver Howell, UK managing director, is delighted to add: “It’s been a huge thrill to be part of such an extended period of growth for the company since I first joined and to be running a business that is wildly recognised as one of the world’s leading fine art service providers.”
In addition to its UK facilities, today Gander & White also has bases in Paris, New York, Los Angeles, Miami, Palm Beach and San Francisco. Each location boasts state-of-the-art storage facilities totalling 350,000 square cubic feet, a fleet of 42 vehicles, and 250 loyal and long-standing staff.
Its extensive network of international fine art logistics agents allows Gander & White to handle shipments safely and efficiently to or from almost any major city in the world. The successful family firm continues to apply the utmost care and discretion, offering impeccable service packing and shipping fine and decorative arts, antiques and luxury design around the globe.
Gander & White highlights over the decades include:
• Gander & White is founded, 1933
• Gander & White opens a warehouse near Great Ormond Street, London.
• Following the death of King Feisal II of Iraq, Gander & White is instructed to transport the King’s exquisite furniture collection from the company’s warehouse – where it had been stored for three years following the his assassination – to Baghdad.
• Gander & White move to larger premises under Earls Court, London, 1957.
• In 1959 Gander & White packs and ships a diplomatic gift – a George I bureau bookcase – from Prime Minister Harold MacMillan to Russian Premier Nikita Khrushchev.
• Andreé White embarks on the first of many trips to the US to meet clients, 1967.
• Gander & White is entrusted with shipping the world-famous Cinzano Glass collection as it travels the globe.
• Gander & White opens a facility in New York, 1986
• Gander & White packs and delivers the entirety of The Harold Samuel Collection of Dutch and Flemish 17th century paintings for permanent display at Mansion House in London.
• Gander & White is entrusted to move the world’s most famous cricket trophy, The Ashes, from Lord’s Cricket Ground to the Victoria & Albert Museum. It’s only the third time in history The Ashes has left Lord’s.
• Gander & White opens a facility in Paris, 1991
• Gander & White packed and crates the Kremlin Armoury Museum’s collection of English silver and transports it to the Sotheby’s London English Silver Treasures from the Kremlin exhibition, 1991.
• Gander & White opens facilities in West Palm Beach, 2002; Miami, 2008.
• Gander & White installs monumental outdoor sculptures for The Baroque World of Fernando Botero exhibition at the Society of the Four Arts, Palm Beach, 2008; and the Museum of Fine Arts, Saint Petersburg, Florida, 2010.
• The company is granted a Royal Warrant for fine art services by Her Majesty The Queen in 2017 for work carried out on behalf of the Royal Household and The Royal Collection.
• Gander & White opens a facility in LA, 2017.
• Gander & White installs works for the Jockey Museum, Newmarket.
• Gander & White is opening an enormous 52,000 sq ft warehouse in Earlsfield, south London in Spring 2018.
For more information contact: www.ganderandwhite.com